I was that really weird kid who never needed any convincing to eat her vegetables, even the ones most kids hate. Collard greens? Yum! Broccoli? Hell yeah! Brussels sprouts? Gimme!
I went through a phase a couple of years ago where I ate Brussels sprouts for lunch and dinner Every. Single. Day. No kidding. While I’m not looking to get back into an all-Brussels sprouts meal plan, I’ve had a serious craving for them lately. Back in the day, I bought the frozen-in-butter-sauce variety, but since I’m trying to eat vegan as often as possible, I thought I’d share one of my favorite recipes. It’s insanely delicious, under 200 calories, and it couldn’t be easier.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 bag of Brussels sprouts
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes
How To Make It:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (around 200-ish C IIRC).
- Press the red pepper flakes (to taste, but remember to start out on the conservative side unless you really love heat) between your palms to warm them and release the oils, then add them to the olive oil, and let that sit while the oven heats.
- Cut the top and bottom off of the garlic head and peel it as much paper as you can. You can remove the cloves, but they pop out much easier once they’re roasted.
- Spread out the sprouts on a baking sheet with your garlic in the center (or spread the cloves out, either way), and then drizzle them with the pepper-infused olive oil.
- Add a pinch of salt. It all depends on how salty you like your food.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes and let cool. Now you can squeeze the sweet-and-spicy garlic from the head or mash up the cloves a little with your sprouts.
See? Easy-peasy and super healthy! You can substitute rosemary or lemon butter (or vegan butter) or anything your heart desires. All you have to do is remember to cook your sprouts thoroughly, and you can’t really go wrong.
Let me know if you give this recipe a try, and feel free to share any of your favorites!